Cottonwood ALC in Helena, MT is hiring a full-time facilitator to work with its Branches students (roughly ages 8 – 16) and in partnership with the rest of the school’s staff team, students, and parents. Agile Learning Facilitators act as models, space-holders, and mentors of self-directed living and intentional culture creation. Above all, facilitators need to be grounded in the perspective of trusting children, partnership-based relationships, and personal responsibility.
Basics: terms, hours, compensation
- This full-time facilitator role would be primarily fulfilled Monday – Friday from the hours of 8am to 4pm.
- The term of employment begins on January 21st, 2019 and will conclude June 7th, 2019.
- Compensation is $14-$18/hr. depending on experience with the opportunity for a salaried position for the 2019-20 school year.
- Opportunities for additional compensation are available through the ability to organize formal or informal after-school classes, camps during school breaks and/or over the summer.
This is the perfect role for you if…
- You have experience cultivating authentic, respectful, and partnership-based relationships with people of all ages and will take great joy in leading a Spawn Point (small group of mixed-aged students) that meets each day to connect, set intentions, and reflect together
- You are a passionate, curious, and joyful person with a variety of interests and abilities that you will enjoy sharing with young people through Offerings made at our Set-the-Week meeting and through spontaneous, self-organized activities
- You are excited to practice the art of “maximum support with minimal interference” in the context of working with young people
- You are ready to challenge conventional stereotypes of what it means to go to school
- You understand and are aligned with the basic principles of Self-Directed Education
- You are comfortable self-starting, adapting to changing circumstances, not always having the answer, navigating interpersonal relationships, coordinating logistics, and communicating effectively in multiple forms
- You are, yourself, self-directed: You don’t need to be told what to do in order to be productive in your role; you can notice what needs to be done and take action, while communicating effectively with team members along the way
- You live in, or are able to relocate to, Helena, MT in the next three months
- BONUS: You have a driver’s license, are a safe driver, and are comfortable driving a 15-passenger van for field trips
- BONUS: You are excited to develop a long-term role as an Agile Learning Facilitator
- BONUS: You can speak multiple languages
How to Apply:
Email us at email@example.com and send us:
- A video of you sharing more about yourself, your experience/background, and why you’re excited about the idea of joining the team at Cottonwood ALC. In your video, please answer the following questions:
- How did you hear about this opportunity at Cottonwood ALC?
- What unique skills and perspectives would you bring to our community?
- How does deschooling and/or Self-Directed Education look in your life lately?
- A very simple written outline of your work/life/learning experiences (no formal resume needed)
- Two or three relevant references and their contact info
- Links to any other work or creative projects you’ve contributed to and are proud of
Candidates from all cultures and communities are encouraged to apply.
Cottonwood ALC does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, culture, religion, nor national or ethnic origin.
Priority deadline for applications is Monday, January 7th 2019.